Windows 8 comes with Modern and Desktop UI; we spend most of our time on Desktop UI. The functionality of Modern UI apps is same as that of desktop UI apps but most of us prefer to launch applications from Desktop interface. However, during Windows startup Desktop apps takes more time to load up as compared to Modern UI, as Windows 8 is designed for touch enabled devices so there is a delay to launch desktop applications. To minimize the delay, here is a simple trick that will help to boost the Windows 8 startup.
Disclaimer: Before proceeding with this trick or so called hack we at TechDistinct, advice to take full backup of the registry before adding/editing/deleting any values in registry as there might be a chances that your device will end up in no boot situation after performing this tweak.
Steps to take full registry backup:
- Press “Win+R” button to open Run Window from desktop UI.
- Now in Run Window type “regedit” without quotes.
- Above command will open “Registry Editor”, go to File->Export-> save target file as “RegBackup”.
- Above command will take few minutes to create full registry back.
Steps to Decrease Windows 8 Startup Delay:
- Once done with registry backup, press “Win+R” to open Run Window, in Run Window type “regedit” and hit enter from desktop UI or if you are on Modern UI then just start typing regedit and it will show in Windows search.
- In the registry editor option navigate to:
- To create “Serialize” key, right click on “HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorer” and select New->Key.
- Now, after creating new Key you need to add DWORD parameter under Serialize. Right click on serialize folder or in the right pane and select New->DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Once DWORD parameter is created, double click on it to rename DWORD parmater to “StartupDelayInMSec” and in the value data box enter “0” (Zero) and click “OK”.
- Now, press “Win+R” to open Run Window and type “shell:Startup”, it will open startup folder and add some startup shortcuts and restart the computer to apply changes.
This tweak will decrease the startup delay but cannot eliminate completely, after applying this tweak you will notice faster startup.
Do share you feedbacks, queries regarding startup delay in Windows 8.