There are many ways to install operating system like USB, DVD, using OS ISO file, remote installation, among them installation via USB and DVD is the most popular. Installing OS using DVD disc has become things of past, in this fast moving world we prefer to finish the task asap. Even though there are many tools like Rufus, PoweISO, MagicISO etc are available to create bootable USB/DVD but Windows 7 USB/DVD tool is the most widely used tool to create bootable USB/DVD tool.
Windows 7 USB/DVD tool comes with pretty simple UI which helps users to finish the task in simple steps. The best thing about the tool is it is free and is compatible with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 OS i.e. user can create bootable USB/DVD for Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 using Windows 7 USB/DVD tool.
Few days back, I was installing Windows 8.1 on my PC, when I downloaded the Windows 8.1 and was about to create bootable USB using Windows 7 USB/DVD tool, on the first step when I clicked on browse ISO and selected Windows 8.1, I encountered an error “The selected file is not a valid ISO file. Please select a valid ISO file and try again”.
We usually encounter “The selected file is not a valid ISO file” error when there is an issue with downloaded ISO file. When ISO9660+UDF+Joliet file formats are combined together it creates a valid ISO image, if any one component is missing then it results in “The selected file is not a valid ISO file” error.
To solve this issue, we have to combine ISO9660+UDF+Joliet files together then it will create a bootable ISO. Imageburn is one of the few yet free tools which can be used to combine those 3 formats together.
Steps to fix the selected file is not a valid ISO file Error:
- Download and install Imageburn software on Windows based PC [Download]
- Now, launch the tool and select “Create image file from file/folder”
- In the next step, browser to select the source file downloaded earlier and destination location for the new ISO file.
- One the same screen, tap to Option tab and from the drop down box for file system select “ISO9660+Joliet+UDF”.
- Now, click on build button to create a new ISO file, a Window will pop up asking for confirmation, hit “Yes” and you are done.
- Wait till the process gets completed, once it is done. You can use Windows 7 USB/DVD tool to create new bootable USB drive for Windows!
- On Windows 8 based PC, user can also use rufus tool to create bootable media for Windows 8 & Windows 8.1. However, Windows 7 USB/DVD tool is widely used tool to create bootable DVD/USB but it doesn’t offer features to select partition schema, file system. On UEFI enabled BIOS, it is mandatory to select GPT as partition schema and FAT32 as file system, otherwise bootable USB for Windows 8 is not going to work.
Do let us know, if you encounter any problem while fixing issue with invalid ISO file format, in your comments below.