Data storage devices such as Compact Disc (CDs), Digital Versatile Disc (DVDs), Blu Ray Disc, External Hard Drives, USB Flash Drives, SD Cards, Memory Cards, Flash Drive, Solid State Drives (SSDs) etc. are a part and parcel of our lives these days. So are the problems associated with these devices. Although they may appear invulnerable, data storage devices are delicate electronic devices susceptible to damage.
Among the many causes of failure of a hard drive, the most common are the physical damages caused by a sudden drop, improper handling, water damage, mechanical failure etc. Most of you reading this article are doing so because you have important data stored in a failed storage device such as hard drive or SD card and you want to know if can you recover the data? The answer is yes.
Recovering data from broken devices is possible. Data can be recovered even from the devices that have been severely damaged in accidents provided the flash memory chip is intact. Professional data recovery service providers like Stellar data recovery, have extensive knowledge, expertise and specialized equipment to recover data from broken devices such as hard drives, USB drives, memory cards etc.
Precautions to take if you have a broken device:
You need to be very careful while handling a broken data storage device such as a SD card or a hard drive because mishandling can lead to permanent data loss beyond the scope of recovery, or the cost of data recovery may become more expensive.
- Do not try to open the storage device on your own. This may lead to further damage and may lead to permanent data loss.
- Do not swap electronic components or try other DIY methods to repair the device or recover the data.
- Do not use any unrecognized recovery service provider. Many local companies may claim to recover data but may not have the required infrastructure, knowledge, and skills to handle a broken device. They might experiment with the device resulting in more damage.
- Please note, the magnetic platter in the hard drive is very sensitive to dust and other contaminants and must be opened only in labs with a controlled environment as mandated by hard drive manufacturers.
- Do contact a professional and reputed recovery service provided ASAP.
Stellar Data Recovery is the most trusted recovery service provider in India and has extensive experience in handling such cases. Our team handles over 35000 data recovery jobs every year and have specially trained specialists to recover data from physically damaged hard drive, SD Card and other storage devices.
Stellar Data Recovery Process for Physically Damaged Devices
Data recovery from broken devices is a very complex process. Apart from skilled technicians and specialized techniques, it also needs a specialized environment such as a Class 100 Clean Room lab to open such devices. A Class 100 Clean Room is a controlled environment where pollutants such as dust, chemical vapours, airborne microbes, etc. are at a considerably low level.
Stellar’s Class 100 Clean Room is an authorized data recovery lab where entry is restricted to the recovery experts alone. Only authorized technicians to have access to the data recovery lab. We are an ISO 27001 and ISO 9001 certified organization. We have internal processes and procedures which safeguard a customer’s data, and we maintain a high level of data security and confidentiality. Complete data recovery process is risk-free at Stellar Data Recovery.
Our lab is not only provides data recovery solutions but also has a huge inventory of spare parts including hard drive heads, PCB boards, platter cleaning equipment etc.
Our data recovery process has the following steps-
- Media submission – Once the client submits the device, we assign a unique job id to it, and it is sent to the recovery lab for analysis.
- Analysis – The technician runs proprietary software tools on the media to analyze the problem and creates an assessment report. The report consists of –
- State of the media
- Problem type
- The possibility of data recovery
- Time estimate
- Consultation with the customer – The customer service team shares the assessment report and the quotation with the customer and answers all the queries regarding the data recovery process.
- Data recovery – Once approved by the client, the data recovery process starts. For broken devices, data recovery process includes the following tasks –
- Spare Transplantation – For broken devices, the technicians perform spare transplantation on the hard drive using special tools and techniques to make sure the device is working. It is a very complex process. Any mistake in this step can damage the device and may result in further damage and permanent data loss.
- Cloning Process – After the spare transplantation, we create a clone of your broken hard drive on another new hard drive. This process may take a few days depending on the condition of the broken hard drive. Entire data recovery is made from this cloned hard drive.
- Data Verification – Post recovery, we share the file list with the client for verification. It can be done either in-person or via a Teamviewer session. If the client is not able to verify the data, we reprocess the job. We also have a “No Recovery No Charge” policy.
- Data Delivery – After approval from the customer, we hand over the data in a new device to the customer. This step completes the data recovery process.
- Data Wiping – Stellar wipes all the customer data from the servers after seven working days post-delivery.
As you can see, data recovery from broken devices is possible, but it is a very complex and tedious process. Sometimes due to the damage to internal circuitry, the data recovery might not be 100%, but our data recovery experts always strive for the maximum possible recovery. Due to our vast inventory of spare parts, we can complete the recovery in the shortest time possible.
Before handing out your broken data storage device to any provider, make sure they have the required knowledge, experience, and infrastructure to handle the device and safeguard your data privacy.
For more details, you can visit their official website www.stellarinfo.co.in or dial their toll-free no 1800-102-3232